Taking excerpts from two posts on Sage Goddess’s blog – links to both full articles are at the bottom!
How Crystals Work:
Let’s begin with a brief lesson in quantum physics, the study of particles and matter, which reminds us that everything – including you and me and all the things around us – is energy, constantly moving and vibrating on a subatomic level. Your vibrations and mine are different, just as stones themselves have different and unique vibrations and can be attuned to your energy, to energies of wellness and joy, or to energies of protection and safety. That’s what we crystal healers do – we sense and feel your energy and offer stones that align to your current or desired vibrational frequency. To me, it’s an art form. I sit with someone, their name, their vibration, their current state of physical or emotional wellness, and intuit what needs to be used to reach the desired state.
When you bring stones into your spaces, they alter the vibrational patterns there. That’s why some spaces “feel” better or cleaner or more peaceful than others and it’s how I help heal spaces where trauma has occurred. Interestingly, you can overdo it. Too much clear quartz, which is the highest vibrational stone, in a space can make it feel frantic and stressful. High vibe stones should be balanced with stones of softer vibration in most cases, like rose quartz or tourmaline, to ease the flow of energy and slow down the vibration. Too much isn’t always a good thing, even when it comes to stones.
Stones also align to the meridians in the body, the Qi or Chi or Prana, to the Chakras or energy centers, and when used in contact with the body can offer healing and relief. While they may not cure disease, I have seen them soothe and mitigate effects of disease and harsh medical treatments like chemotherapy. In my own life, I have seen dramatic healing results both by using the stones and by keeping them in my space. I also like to grid the body, which is what you see here – stones placed strategically on the energy centers to connect vibration to vibration and make sure that each energy center is activated and aligned with the gem that corresponds best to it.
So for what it’s worth – world according to Athena – I think we have a divine Creator, you and me. I think that Creator made all the gems and minerals and assigned each one a unique vibrational fingerprint, then invited us to decode it, to sense and feel it, to work with it and chart it and learn from it. And then to begin leaning deeper into that intuitive space, which is where much of the mystery of life resides. People tell me every day that stones don’t do anything; they just look pretty. To those people I say, great! Enjoy their beauty. But I have 25 years of experience and anecdotes and personal evidence that working with the energies of stones can change your life. It can heal your heart. It can shift your mood, and balance your energy. It can improve your relationship, it can help you sleep better. And without any side effects at all. Except perhaps the cost of acquiring them which, if done over a lifetime, can be a process of pure joy.
So many people ask me HOW to use the gems and crystals they buy and collect. It’s important to use them, and not just put them in a drawer or cabinet where they can’t be appreciated or experienced. Gems are meant to take the journey with you! Remember gems emit energetic vibrations that impact you sense, feel, and move in your space. To help you get the most out of your work with them, here are ten magical ways to use gemstones. I hope they inspire you!
1. Carry in your pocket or purse (or tuck inside your bra!): The more you carry your stones with you (and I put mine in my bra so they make skin contact and yet are safely nestled in a place they won’t get lost or broken, the more you will begin to feel and sense their energies. So put them in the places you are most likely to see and touch them throughout the day.
2. Dedicate a medicine bag to your magical work: A bag that can hold your stones, maybe some dried herbs or flowers, and other talismans that matter to you. Carry stones in your medicine bag and switch them out based on your intuition and mood, as well as moon phases.
3. Sleep with them: You can put a piece of sodalite or amethyst in your pillowcase to bring sweet dreams and banish nightmares. Or you can place a small grid of stones by your bedside. Keep quartz, carnelian, moldavite, tektite, and other high-frequency or extra-terrestrial stones away from your bed. Will make it hard to rest.
4. Meditate with them: Choose two stones for meditation each day and hold one in each hand while you clear your mind and connect with the Divine. Do this for 10 minutes per day if possible, and try recording what you sense and intuit from each stone!
5. Make elixirs or infused gem water: Add your favorite gem to your drinking water or take that infused water, add a few drops of alcohol and make an elixir. Please note that some gems are unsafe to use in elixirs (Malachite, for example) so do your homework first. But Shungite is actually used in water purification systems! So put a piece in your water right now!
6. Make a grid or decorative display on your altar. Grids are intentional arrangements of stones designed to raise energy for a specific purpose. You need a quartz generator in the center and then sets of four of each stone you want to work with, each facing the four cardinal direction. Or you can make a grid like the one at the top of this post, which is in the shape of a nautilus (it’s one of several SGHQ classroom altars). Any sacred geometric shape is powerful. Use your intuition to arrange by shape, color, texture, size, or other category. Have fun with the process.
7. Put stones in your car: Black tourmaline protects from theft, crazy lace agate protects from accidents, and I carry aventurine and rose quartz in my car to attract luck and love from people I encounter as I drive. I use my ashtray as a traveling altar space.
8. Adorn yourself: Gems should be worn as jewelry every day. You can do a DIY simple wire wrap of your favorite crystal or tumbled stone and wear immediately! Ideally, gemstone jewelry allows the stones to touch your skin.
9. Use as home decor: Stones are meant to be arranged and displayed. I like to make vignettes around my home and office space with flowers, gems, candles, pretty apothecary bottles, and other items of value to me. Keep it simple – clutter lowers energetic vibrations – but have fun finding ways to display your treasures. Use trays and arrange in rainbow order, or make a healing tray, a prayer tray, or an alignment tray. Arrange on tables or dressers.
10. Use as sacred offerings: When I trim my plants at home, I leave a piece of aventurine tucked into the soil to help the plant grow back strong and healthy. I carry tiny chip stones in my car to leave as offerings as I travel at places that feel like they need an energy boost or where something sad or tragic has occurred. You can take stones to the beach and leave as offerings to Mama Ocean. Stones are powerful and safe offerings to all of the elements.
ENJOY the process of using what you have and collecting. It’s a lifelong labor of love. Aho and so it is.