Celtic Calendar: Ivy Moon Month
September 30 – October 27
We’ve left Vine month, a time of consolidation and harvest, and now the lunar month of the Ivy is here – offering the opportunity to give thanks for life’s blessings and to prepare for a period of spiritual growth.
As the year comes to a close and Samhain approaches, the Ivy moon rolls in at the end of the harvest season. Ivy often lives on after its host plant has died — a reminder to us that life goes on, in the endless cycle of life, death and rebirth. Ivy grows in a spiral formation reminding us that each cycle of the seasons brings us closer to the center, to the spirit. The Celts called this month Gort, pronounced go-ert. This is a time to banish the negative from your life. Do workings related to improving yourself, and placing a barricade between you and the things that are toxic to you.
The Ivy Moon coincides with the end of the harvest season when successes and losses must be accounted for.
The plant teaches us that restrictions are necessary to help us hone our skills. During this month remember that your enemies are your teachers and that opposition is a blessing in disguise. Focus on magic that strengthens your resolve.
LESSON OF THE IVY – from The Wisdom of Trees by Jane Gifford
Ivy reminds us of the movement of the heavens and the way this is reflected on earth. It has the ability to bind all things together. It can wander freely, linking tree to tree, or form dense thickets that block out the light and restrict passage. Ivy brings shelter or overwhelming darkness and reminds us that where there is life, there is also death. Ivy represents the wandering of the soul in its search for enlightenment and it carries a warning to be sure of the direction of your desires so that you avoid being ensnared by them. True progress is made, however, when all the lessons of the preceding trees have been linked together with ivy, in such a way that the light can still enter and no limb need break.
Prepare for the Future
Spells that boost your sense of responsibility will make you ready for what lies ahead. Be prepared to take the long-term view and accept and celebrate your life as it is right now. Trust that the Ivy Moon will prepare you to receive an answer to your prayers at exactly the right time.
As the winter months draw in, you’ll need to improve your resilience and tenacity. Spells for good health are advised at this time of year.
IVY MOON MAGIC
You can use the month of the Ivy Moon for spells and rituals for protection, or harness its energy to make charms that will strengthen resolve and help you face challenges. Ivy can be used in magic performed for healing, protection, cooperation, and to bind lovers together.
House Protection Spell
Utilize the magic of ivy to protect your home from negative influences.
You Will Need:
- A black candle
- Lots of ivy stems
1. Light the candle and say, “I call upon the spirits of this place, come in peace.”
2. Make a circle of ivy stems on the floor and step into the circle.
3. Turn to the north and recite, “Spirits of the Earth protect me.”
4. To the east say, “Spirits of the air protect me.”
5. To the south say, “Spirits of fire protect me.”
6. To the west say, “Spirits of water protect me.”
7. Place the stems that formed your circle at the boundaries of your property.
- A piece of paper
- A pen
- A white candle
- A fire-proof dish
1. Write a list of the troubles that you are experiencing.
2. Next to each one write what you have gained from it, for example “It made me stronger.”
3. Light the candle saying, “This flame represents my faith in the universe. I give thanks for the lessons I have learned.”
4. Burn the paper and feel yourself grow stronger.
Women’s Ivy Charms
Ivy is a feminine plant and it is particularly lucky for women. Use the following ivy charms all year round to utilize ivy’s powerful magical properties.
- Brides who carry or wear ivy will have a long, committed and prosperous marriage. Sew an ivy leaf into a small pocket of white linen, and give this to a bride to slip into the hem of her wedding dress for luck.
- To guard against accidents while driving, carefully secure an ivy leaf on your car dashboard.
- Grow ivy vines around the front door of your house to prevent negativity from entering your home.
Ivy Spell Bags
Use the magic of ivy to strengthen your willpower.
Ivy leaves, ginger and Echinacea placed in a yellow spell bag will guard against addictive behavior.
Ivy leaves, chicory, sea salt and sage in a navy blue bag will guard against overspending.
A charm of ivy leaves, hawthorn leaves, and red chili seeds placed in a white spell bag will help to keep you faithful to your lover.
Placing ivy leaves, lily petals and lilac flowers in a blue spell bag will prevent you from returning to a destructive relationship.